Re: Hoosier DOT race tires

To: Snapspinnr@aol.com
Subject: Re: Hoosier DOT race tires
From: "Burns, James B." <BurnsJB1@central.SSD.JHUAPL.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 09:20:41 -0400
>At the Petersburg Pro I noticed a lot of people running Hoosier DOT race
>tires. I am thinking of buying a set for my MR2. Does anyone have any
>opinions on these tires?
>
>I have used BFG products for the past two years and I am wondering how the
>Hoosier tires compare.
>
>Shawn Whipple

What year is your MR2?  If you have a '91-92 MR2, then the Hooser 225/50-14
won't fit on the front.  It will rub on the strut.  But I think that
205/55-14 front & 225/50-14 rear Hoosiers would work well on this car.  The
225/50-14 BFGs just barely fit on the front with 1/4" wheel spacers.

As far as a comparison with the BFGs, Hoosiers are probably the most
expensive tires to run because they don't last long, they flat spot easily,
and they cost a bit more in the first place.  But the new BFG g-Forces are
pretty close to the Hoosiers in these respects.  Neither one is very good in
heavy rain.  If you run ProSolo NationalSeries, then Hoosier pays some
contingency for a win.  BFG does not.

Another choice is Kumho, but they don't make a 225-14".  The 195f/205r Kumho
combo seems to work well on the Priebe car, though.  If you have a '93+ MR2,
then you can run the 225/50-15 Kumhos.  Or if you want to try the Hoosiers,
they make a 225/45-15 which is about an inch shorter than everyone else's
225/50-15, so this would help your effective gearing.  But you still might
have to run a 205 up front since the 225 Hoosiers are especially wide.

Brad Burns
'91 MR2T, A-stock (BFG g-Forces for dry, old R1's for rain)
'87 RX7, ITS (CSP?) (Hoosier R3S03s)