Re: Hoosier DOT race tires

To: BurnsJB1@central.SSD.JHUAPL.edu
Subject: Re: Hoosier DOT race tires
From: Ron Madurski <rmadursk@galaxy.galstar.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 20:30:18 -0500 (CDT)
:
:> My experience with Hoosiers has been primarily road racing, not autox.  I
:> have road raced on Yokohamas, BFG R1s, BFG g-Forces, Kumhos, and Hoosiers.
:> I have autoxed on all of those but not much on the Hoosiers.  The Hoosiers
:> have been by far the easiest to flat spot.  I have corded a few that were

That's how my first and second set went to the landfill.  But it was my
co-driver that did it... :-)

:Many IT class road racers believe the Hoosiers are the fastest, especially
:when they are new.  But they also complain about how easy they are to
:flatspot and the fact that they don't last as long as the other tires.  They
:also seem to be more sensitive to proper pressures, so you really have to
:get them dialed in properly.  I can tell the difference with a few pounds of
:pressure in the Hoosiers.  With the BFGs I can radically change pressures
:and it doesn't seem to matter that much.
:

My first 2 sets went pretty quickly, flat spots and cording on the
outside on the fronts and inside on the rear.  Once I figured out the
right camber and pressures they wore a lot better and really stuck to
the pavement.  Structural problems sent my car to the crusher late last
year and now I'm on slicks in FM so I'll never know if I could have been
faster in that car on any other brand of tire.

--
Ron Madurski
rmadursk@galstar.com