Re: a question

To: "Mari Clements" <mlc4@psu.edu>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: a question
From: "richard nichols" <rnichol1@san.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 16:22:57 -0700
I'll give you the "ahas" that I gleaned from pro instruction at my last
autox practice (8 runs).

1.  Straighten out the course with your driving.  IOW, try to make every
curve into a straight.
2.  Smooth doesn't count for anything.  He told me some of the very best
autoxers are choppy as hell.
3.  "Looking ahead" doesn't mean "x car lengths" -- it means at the start
line, actually visually *find* the *next* "event", such as (in my case) the
gate after a slalom.  Then as you go through the course, and keep doing
that, none of "events" will be a surprise.
4.  Point and squirt:  hell bent for leather to the corner, brake at the
absolute last possible moment (when it seeems too late!), get through the
corner, then slam the gas pedal to the floor.

These are not my words of wisdom, they're his.  Using them I shaved 10
seconds off my times within just a run or two, and got within 10-15 seconds
of the SS cars's times, too -- on street tires.

Hope that helps.  :]

Richard Nichols
rnichol1@san.rr.com
San Diego, California, USA

1986 SVO 1C -- now prepping for CP

1972 Ford Pinto Sedan 3J - Original Owner/Restored
  On display at the San Diego Automotive Museum
         12 June 1999 through 31 January 2000