Re: a question

To: "Rocky Entriken" <RENTRIKEN/0003006623@MCIMAIL.COM>,
Subject: Re: a question
From: "richard nichols" <rnichol1@san.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 20:41:51 -0700
Rocky said:

"slow in fast out. Give up a little speed going in to enable you to stand on
it
exiting.  To some degree, I disagree with Richard Nichols, although what he
says may be
more applicable to high-powered cars."

'Member, I said these were not my words of wisdom -- my instructor was
driving a Miata, and if that wall of cones had been of brick instead, I'd
have been convinced I was gonna die when he didn't let up until the end of
the straightaway, then slammed on the brakes, went 'round the corner, then
powered away.  I just applied what he taught me to my "torque peaks below
3,000 rpm" SVO.

>"Smooth doesnt count for anything." Bull. Yes, there are a few good drivers
that are choppy

Both Rocky here, and Joshua Hadler in his message, dinged me on this one.
I'm sure I deserved it  :]  but I was simply repeating what I was told.
 But -- I will have to say that, as soon as I stopped worrying about
emulating what I'd heard about "great" drivers by trying to be smooth, I
went faster.

>"Point and squirt." Good technique IF your car has gobs of power or really
killer torque

Yup, my CP SVO has those things.  But does the Miata?  Seriously, I don't
have its stats, but it was the Miata that showed me how it's done.  'Course
he did have to shift up and down a lot, and I stay in 2nd from launch to
finish.  Dammit, and I know how to heel and toe, too.     ;]

Richard Nichols
rnichol1@san.rr.com
San Diego, California, USA