RE: a question

To: "'Mari Clements'" <mlc4@psu.edu>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: a question
From: "Kevin Stevens" <Kevin_Stevens@Bigfoot.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 20:47:26 -0700
> HOW DO YOU FIGURE OUT WHAT LINE TO DRIVE?
>
> As anyone who has ever walked a course with me can attest,
> looking ahead does not get me to the place I should be walking/driving
> --I can have the course memorized, know exactly where the next turn
> is and what it leads into and still have *no* clue where I should be/how
it
> should be set up/whatever.  Maybe all other autocrossers are
> spatial-genius-types, but I'm clearly not (yesterday someone told me I
> was "pinching off corners" and I was too embarrassed to tell him that I
> had *no* idea what he meant).
>
> So, any great "ah-hah" experiences or breakthroughs?  Rules?
> Suggestions?
> Thoughts?  Things I can try with Hot Wheels cars?

Here's something you can try with Hot Wheels cars.  It's a bit different
than the other responses, so take it as an *attitude* rather than a
technical guideline.

When I walk a course, in the back of my head a clock is ticking. (If you
don't know what a clock ticking sounds like, you are too young to benefit
from this profound wisdom.)  I start with the premise that the course is a
straight dragstrip 3/4 mile long.  That's the fastest I can possibly cover
that distance.  Then I begin walking with the intent of minimizing the
differences between this course and a dragstrip.  A straight is anywhere
that I can apply full throttle, just like a dragstrip.  A turn is not
something to battle and triumph over, it is something to accomplish as
expediently as possible to get onto the next straight.

- Turn the course into as many straights as possible connected by as few
turns as necessary.

- Identify each of those straights, even the very short ones, and make sure
you *treat* them as straights by usiing full throttle.

- Spend as little time cornering as possible.

- Everything else will fall into place.

KeS