RE: "ZX2 S/R"...trunk kits anyone?

To: Justin Hughes <ka1ult@channel1.com>, "'Ian McCloghrie'" <ian@codrus.com>
Subject: RE: "ZX2 S/R"...trunk kits anyone?
From: Lindsay Wilson <lwilson1@ford.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 16:15:25 -0400
I believe that the real disadvantage of the ZX2, even with the S/R option
package, is the lack of negative camber which is achievable.  While the
Neon has camber adjustment in the shop manual, the ZX2 does not.  The
ZX2 can only get what it can from the slop that is there (which isn't much.)

Only the ZX2 Showroom Stock Trunk Kit has adjustable camber bolts.
And a Showroom Stock car with a Trunk Kit installed (the only way
to use the camber bolt kit) must run SP.  The adjustable camber bolts
will be available from SVO motorsports, but that does NOT make them
legal for Solo2 Stock class use.

Again, the ZX2 is at a disadvantage to the Neons when it comes
to negative camber.

As for bumping the ZX2 with S/R package to DS, maybe, maybe not.  :)

        S/R upgrades

        ECU calibrated for Premium fuel, increased top speed.   (nope, not DS.)
        Clutch, Center force.  (Nice for reliability.)          (nope, not DS.)
        Stiffer sway bar bushings.                              (nope, not DS.)
        Springs lowering 1" (seen how TALL a ZX2 is?)           (nope, not DS.)
        Struts  ( legal Stock class modification)                       (nope,
not DS.)
        Rear disk brake kit (quicker pad changes)               (nope, not DS.)
        Short throw shifter                                     (nope, not DS.)
        Tuned intake (140 vs 130)                               (nope, not DS)
        Muffler (legal Stock class modification)                        (nope,
not DS)
        Air Cleaner inlet                                               (nope,
not DS)
        Stiffened suspension bushing                            (nope, not DS)

        Limited Slip dif.  DID NOT MAKE PRODUCTION!             (nope, not DS)

  I personally don't see a DS car, but then I AM biased.  :)  Now, IF the LS
  had made it into production, then we'd have to reconsider.  All the S/R
  stuff just makes the ZX2 a better ES car.  Not a dominant car.  ( The Neon
  isn't the top ES car anyway, right?  It just attracts the top drivers.)  So,
with
  the lack of negative camber and no LS, I say leave the ZX2 in ES.

        ALL IMHO, of course,

                Lindsay