re: Kumho wear patterns, 225/50-15 on 6" rim

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Kumho wear patterns, 225/50-15 on 6" rim
From: Dave Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 11:29:57 -0400 (EDT)
Craig Blome <cblome@yahoo.com> wrote...
> The first two rows of blocks have a coarse pebbled wear pattern to them
> (surprising after 10 runs), with the innermost rows almost untouched.
> The other Miatas running Kumhos showed similar wear, but it's still a
> little worrisome to me.  I'm guessing that either:
>
> a)  I don't have enough negative camber for the tire (no surprise here),
> or
> b)  the 6" rim is too narrow for a 225 K-tire and it is rolling over.
>
> Anybody else tried this combo, or seen similar wear on other sizes?
> Anything I can do with pressures to mitigate it?   (I was running
> mid-30's.)

   Put me down for similar wear on other sizes.  The 205/55/14s off our
MR2 show wear similar to what you describe, after 32 runs.

   Since the MR2 is not camber challenged, and has 6 and 7 inch rims, I'm
going to have to guess the problem, if any, is your pressures.  This wear
pattern on our Kumhos was reduced after dropping a few pounds of air.  ( I
think, the gauge is a bit schizophrenic. )

   Of course, this may all be meaningless data, since the tires certainly
weren't helped by spinning the car like a top.

--
 D a v i d  H i l l m a n
 scscc, nma, scca, imoc