Re: Neon impaired...

Subject: Re: Neon impaired...
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 10:07:00 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, CLAY MCLENDON wrote:
> With all this talk of Neons,  I was wondering if anyone could give me a quick
> rundown on the difference between those mentioned... (ACR, R&T, Sport,
> Expresso...).  I don't really want specifics like spring rates, but are all of
> these DOHC?  All in DS with SOHC in ES?  Just wondering.  My friend just got a
> good deal on a R&T.   That's when I realized I don't know these special
> models.  Thanks in Advance guys (and gals).

Mega-quickie....

All DOHC models (ACR Coupes, All R/T's, Most Sport's) as well as some SOHC
models (ACR Sedan & the other Sports) are in DS.  The rest (all SOHC's
without rear swaybars) are in ES.

In DS, only the ACR has legally slotted struts for camber adjustment.  The
others (R/T's and Sports) can get there, but they gotta use crash bolts to
do it.  Most every neon in DS is an ACR Coupe.

Comparing the R/T and the ACR coupe, the only differences are that the ACR
has slotted Konis where the R/T has non-slotted whatevers, the ACR has
10mm hub flanges where the R/T has 8mm, and the ACR might have a bit less
weight depending on options on each.

The hub differences only really apply to roadracing and it was a
durability mod.  So, your buddy's R/T could be competitive if you get
decent struts and crash bolts.

www.neons.org has a faq that lists all the different models & years &
specs if you want more...

Mark