Re: Another Question!

To: <autox@autox.team.net>, <mitchell@tdi.net>
Subject: Re: Another Question!
From: "Scott Phelps" <scott_phelps@gdt1.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 10:02:05 -0400
>>> mitchell <mitchell@tdi.net>wrote:

>As a returning/newbie autox-er it might help me to hear:
>"What do you *think* about when on course?"
>Do you focus on:

>(a) the course:  anticipating upcoming sections, evaluating options, any
>surprises

I try to not think about the course, hoping to have memorized it during the
walk throughs, and I try to pick my lines during the walk throughs as well.
The first run, I may be thinking about the course, but not in subsequent runs.

>(b) the car:  how it's handling, shifting, tire/engine/brake performance

This is where I'd say 50% of my thought process goes.  Listen to what the car
is telling you, ie.  "you're going too fast in this section" or "I could go
faster in that section"  Feedback from the car will allow you to get the most
out of it.

>(c) the driver:  skill/technique, concentration, following a line,
>correcting mistakes

This is where the other 50% goes.  Concentration.  Getting the car to go as
fast as possible, through a given section, while maintaining control, managing
under/oversteer, and trying to be on the line, and not repeating mistakes from
the previous run.  I find there is no use correcting mistakes during a run, as
it's already happened, just move on to the next section, and try not to repeat
it in the next run.  Trying to correct only makes me overcorrect or not be set
up for the next corner.

>f) how cool/fast your car must look :}

Well, look at the sig line, It's really a non issue for me.  :)

YMMV  -

Regards,

Scott Phelps
88 Yugo GVX EP