Re: ST @ Nationals

To: Lance Schueneman <lances@wt.net>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ST @ Nationals
From: Phil Esra <pesra@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 11:35:51 -0700 (PDT)

--- Lance Schueneman <lances@wt.net> wrote:
> I've read what Larry has to say and I'd have to agree with him that
> if SCCA is going to introduce a class in one year and have it at
> Nationals and then turn around the next year and totally ignore it at
> Nationals is stupid.

ST was not offered at Nationals last year. Matt Grainger had to run in
ESP.

> I'd like to see ST run at the Nationals this year, and I'd go ahead
> and make
> my reservations if it is, but until I know for sure, I'm not going to
> move on
> it.

There are several people in San Francisco Region who would go to
Nationals this year if ST was offered. I don't understand the reasoning
behind not offering it at Nationals while offering it at Tours and
Pros, but I'll bet there's some kind of logic driving the decision. Or
maybe it's some kind of Neon conspiracy...

It's exciting to watch the class grow and gain legitimacy. I would
guess/hope that there will be an ST at Nationals in '00.

> My car was not as competitive in DS as I'd like (SOHC ACR Sedan).
> In ST,
> I'm having fun and doing well, which is much better than just having
> fun, right?

The Neon seems to have good ST potential. Steve Wynne (OR) is getting
faster and faster in his, finishing 3rd at the Atwater Pro and 2nd at
the Atwater Norpac Divisional. I'd put my money on a fully
updated/backdated '84-87 Civic, but I definitely wouldn't turn my back
on the Neons for a second.

Phil Esra
'86 Civic Si ST