Re: Front sway bar rules in stock...

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Front sway bar rules in stock...
From: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 21:46:00 -0500

David Shreve wrote:

> Okay, I have a friend who has a '99 Miata.  He has installed the Racing Beat
> front sway bar and the tie bar that goes between the stock mounts and
> stiffens them.  There is no drilling or other modification made to install
> the stiffening tie bar.  This bar serves the sole purpose of stiffening the
> flimsy stock mounts.
>
> It is my understanding that under the rules both the mounts and the sway bar
> are open provided no modifications other that the drilling of holes is done.
>   Thus, to me, it would seem that this is a legal addition.  However, one of
> the local Miata drivers did not agree(but didn't press the issue).  Anyone
> know whether this bar between the mounts is legal?
>
> It would seem to me that if the car came with no sway bar or mounts, it
> would be legal to drill holes and mount two sway bar mounts with a bar
> between them to siffen them.  So it should be legal on a car that came with
> flimsy mounts, no??
>
> Please cc me or respond privately as I am on the digest and pretty slow
> about reading them.

Front swaybar is free in stock class, probably even if the car came
without one, though I'm sure a Miata did.  Strut braces are not
swaybars.  If he wants to run his Miata in CSP, he can run his strut
brace.

--
Loren Williams | Homepage - http://www2.southwind.net/~lsw
'94 Saturn SC2 | Wichita Region SCCA - http://www2.southwind.net/~scca