Re: Front sway bar rules in stock...

To: TeamZ3@aol.com, autox@autox.team.net, vw_speed_racer@hotmail.com,
Subject: Re: Front sway bar rules in stock...
From: "Jan Schmidt" <jschmidt@kumc.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 21:51:37 -0500
List
I will take the stock sway bar rule one step further if I was a rules maker.
"Front or Rear sway bar may be deleted, added or replaced. One or the other ,
but not both." That way a rear drive car could replace the front bar and a
front driver could replace the rear bar, and achieve near neutral handling,
thus a safer autocrosser
Just my $ .02 worth
Bill Schmidt cs rx7 kc reg

From: TeamZ3@aol.com <TeamZ3@aol.com>

>The rules also state that the only front swaybar
>mounting change allowed is drilling new holes that serve no other purpose
>than mounting the bar to the vehicle.

It only says "mounting bolts" (I have a 1998 book).  Logically, the only
reason to drill holes is for bolts to mount BRACKETS.  If the stock brackets
are there and are going to be used, there is no reason to drill holes.
Therefore, the allowance for drilling holes for mounting bolts pretty well
requires an allowance of unrestricted brackets.

The way I think the rule ought to be applied is that the entire sway-bar
SYSTEM is unrestricted, but that the existing frame and body may not be
chopped on to install the system.  If it is a sway-bar system, and you can
mount it with bolts, either by clamping it to existing frame and/or
suspension members or by bolting it through either stock or created-by-you
holes, you may legally use said system on the front end of a Stock-category
car in SCCA Solo2.

IMHO, this is the only logical way to interpret the existing (I have a 1998
book) rule.  The rule ought to be re-phrased a bit so this logical thought
process is not necessary to understand the rule.   My notes on the rules as
I understand it to read are in square brackets[].

====================
13.7  Anti Roll (Sway) Bars

13.7.A.  Front anti-roll (sway) bars:

13.7.A.1.  Substitution, addition or removal of any front anti-roll bars
is permitted.

13.7.A.2.  Substitution, addition or removal of anti-roll bars may serve
no other purpose than that of an anti-roll bar.  [This one pretty much
disallows using the sway-bar bracket to double as a frame-strengthening
device, IMHO.  -Phil]

13.7.A.3.  The use of any bushing material is permitted.

13.7.A.4.  No modification to the body, frame or other components to
accommodate anti-roll bar addition or substitution is allowed, except
for the drilling of holes for mounting bolts.  [I would add:  Stock sway-bar
mounting brackets may be removed by unbolting them.  Cutting or welding on
stock frame, body, or suspension arms is not allowed.  Any brackets, mounts
or end-links  may be used as long as they bolt or clamp to stock
components.]

By the way, I'd add the comments directly to the rule, not in some goofy
back-of-the-book clarification.

Lotus Europa, VW Quantum Syncro, Chev Suburban
LOON, TCVWC, MAC
pethier@isd.net     http://www.visi.com/mac/