Front sway bar rules in stock...

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Front sway bar rules in stock...
From: David Shreve <vw_speed_racer@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 19:19:00 PDT
Okay, I have a friend who has a '99 Miata.  He has installed the Racing Beat
front sway bar and the tie bar that goes between the stock mounts and
stiffens them.  There is no drilling or other modification made to install
the stiffening tie bar.  This bar serves the sole purpose of stiffening the
flimsy stock mounts.

It is my understanding that under the rules both the mounts and the sway bar
are open provided no modifications other that the drilling of holes is done.
  Thus, to me, it would seem that this is a legal addition.  However, one of
the local Miata drivers did not agree(but didn't press the issue).  Anyone
know whether this bar between the mounts is legal?

It would seem to me that if the car came with no sway bar or mounts, it
would be legal to drill holes and mount two sway bar mounts with a bar
between them to siffen them.  So it should be legal on a car that came with
flimsy mounts, no??

Please cc me or respond privately as I am on the digest and pretty slow
about reading them.

-dave
#13 STR
VW GTI-VR6