Re: Turbo Update/Backdate - A Solution

To: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Subject: Re: Turbo Update/Backdate - A Solution
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 11:45:52 -0400

dg50@daimlerchrysler.com wrote:
>> Here's my proposed wording:
>>
>> - Turbocharger units may not ported, clipped, or otherwise modified
>>   from stock.
>>
>> - Turbochargers may be updated/backdated, provided that:
>>    - the donator and target car were both turbocharged
>>    - the displacement of the engine in both donor and target are
>>      exactly the same
>>    - the configuration and number of cylinders of the engine in both
>>      donor and target are exactly the same
>>    - that oil and coolant lines use the stock source and/or return
>>      points
>>
>> - Twin turbocharger units and their associated control hardware must
>>   be updated/backdated as a complete unit; Individual turbochargers
>>   may not be separated out, nor may single turbochargers be combined
>>   to provide a twin turbocharger configuration.

> If your motor was
> turbocharged from the factory, you can use the turbo unit(s) from any
> other turbocharged engine on the same line (the same line thing is
> already covered in the rule describing update/backdate).  Why make the
> big deal about "exactly the same displacement and configuration"?
> Are there any lines in SP that have a four-cylinder turbo motor *and*
> a six-cylinder turbo motor?  If so, is it better to complicate the rule,
> or to split those lines?

I don't _think_ there's any cars out there where you have (say) a 4cyl turbo and
a 6cyl turbo (or even an 8!) on the same line, but that's not proof against it
in the future.

My assumption is that the turbo would be matched to the flow capacity of the
engine on a given factory design, so that allowing the 4cyl's turbo on an 8, or
vice versa, might do something drastic. Imagine the case where you have a inline
4 and an inline 6, both use the same turbo, but the 4 has a drastically higher
wastegate opening pressure....

> The last sub-bullet appears to be already covered by saying that you
> can't alter the turbocharger unit, and by the "no unauthorized
> modications to facilitate an authorized modification" rule.

Perhaps.

> I'm also somewhat concerned by the phrase "associated control hardware".
> What does that mean, exactly?

The bits that decide when to switch between turbos on twin-sequential systems.

> So my proposed re-wording follows.

My changes added in:

- Turbocharger units may not ported, clipped, or otherwise modified
  from stock.

- Turbochargers may be updated/backdated, provided that the donor and
  target engines were both turbocharged and of similar displacement and cylinder
count/layout.

- Twin turbocharger units and their associated control hardware (for
twin-sequential types) must be updated/backdated as a complete unit; Individual
turbochargers may not be separated out, nor may single turbochargers be combined
to provide a twin turbocharger configuration.

Better?

DG