Re: Turbo Update/Backdate - A Solution

To: Alan Pozner <AlanP@identicard.com>,
Subject: Re: Turbo Update/Backdate - A Solution
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 17:14:52 -0400
Mark Sirota wrote:
> Why?  What two turbocharged cars will be on the same line?  Will the
> S4 and the 1.8T be on the same line?  If so, number of cylinders would
> be enough.

It has been pointed out to me that there might soon be a number of
Volkswagens on the same line in SP, all with four-cylinder motors and
different turbos: the 1.8T and four-cylinder TDI motors will be offered
on the A4 cars -- Golf, Jetta, and New Beetle.  Very different four-
cylinder motors, with presumably very different turbos.

I'm beginning to think that maybe the SEB had this right -- the turbo(s)
should be updated/backdated as part of the "engine" unit.

However, I still kinda like DG's earlier proposal of allowing open boost
controls, so long as the turbo(s), oiling systems, and housings are not
modified.  Or something like that.  Simplifies the rules considerably,
and gets some goodwill from the turbo community (though those who have
already built DSM's with backdated turbos will still have to spend some
money).

Mark