RE: Turbo Update/Backdate - A Solution

To: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Turbo Update/Backdate - A Solution
From: "Mohler, Jeff" <jeff.mohler@wilcom.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 08:37:27 -0500
>And since SP modifications allow as MUCH non-mechanical modifications as
>possible to increase intake airflow, then that surely matches a
turbocharger
>being allowed to move as much air as mechanically (stock) possible.

I disagree with this logic.  SP modifications allow you to open up intake
congestion such that the engine can pull in all the air it can.  The
potential gains there are just not too big -- the max is limited by the
engine vacuum and is rarely much higher than the stock intake.  That is
easy to class properly.

That's completely different than allowing you to force in air.  The
potential there is huge.  And since you can get widely varying gains
with relatively small mods of turbo systems, the potential for grossly
unfair classing is nontrivial.

And since the number of SP competitors that could possibly benefit from
the rule is so small, while the number of SP competitors that could get
burned in the future is much larger, I think the SEB has the right answer.

I'd rather see a grandfathering rule for the DSM guys, than see the SP
rules opened up for the potential problems that future turbo models
could cause.
---

I dunno, SP rules (not counting turbos) are -all- about airflow when it
comes to non-suspension MODs.

The potential when you force air is huge, in the 1/4 mile...man, it CAN hurt
in autox.

Ive run with WIDE open boost in the TT VR4, man..it sucks.  PUSH like you
cant belive, way too much speed in a short time for a 4000lb car..and if
youve ever heard of detonation..well, the car can run worse towards the end
of a run than on stock boost because of it.

Like I said, let the rules reflect you can most as much air as possible
given the DESIGN of the car.

I truly belive the SEB is just going to make things more shameful for new
turbo competitors to get into the sport.