How does a region foster nationally competitive drivers?

To: Autox <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: How does a region foster nationally competitive drivers?
From: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 12:53:15 -0500
As a follow-up to the best region to autocross in,
let me ask:  which region will most help me to become
a national champion driver?  which will help me improve
my driving skills the fastest?

Or more to the point:

        How do different regions help foster their
        drivers to become nationally competitive?

Do any regions:
        1) Allow many more than 4 runs, though perhaps
          at added cost?  and/or not for points?
        2) Encourage drivers to ride with each other?
        3) Set up run groups so that top drivers can
           more easily ride with others?
        4) Allow top drivers to drive others' cars,
           showing them how to take certain sections
           better?
        5) Offer instruction from their top drivers at
           each event, perhaps for extra fees?
        6) Offer multiple autox driving schools?

In my experience, I learn the most when I see (and feel) just how
fast a top driver can take certain sections.  I can fairly quickly
emulate others... but find it very difficult to figure out which
sections I can take faster... usually requires a lot more than 4
runs.

Just this last weekend, I had one of the fastest times... BUT, was
roughly tied by a superior driver in a car that is about 3-4s slower
than mine -- so I am confident I could go much faster.  I'd have
loved to have him drive my car one or two runs, and then try to do
the same one or two runs.  Of course, allowing that would really mess
up most local points competitions.  OTOH, it would rapidly elevate
the driving skill in the region.

So, what _do_ regions do to help foster great drivers?

Thanks,

Brian