Re: How does a region foster nationally competitive drivers?

To: "Eric Moon" <moon-7@blazenet.net>, "David Hawkins" <otgrouch@twosrus.com>,
Subject: Re: How does a region foster nationally competitive drivers?
From: "Steve Hoult" <stevehoult@home.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 23:33:25 -0500
> >If ANYONE can give me ammunition to combat the 'unfair advantage' and
'it's
> >just not safe' arguments, I'd like to hear it.  I think I've exhausted my
> >cache, but
> >it'll keep coming up at the meetings until I get what I consider a viable
> >reason.
>
> I can't see that two people in a car is any less safe than one.....unless
> we're talking about two guys in a Super 7 or some sort of Formula car!!
>
> However, I think ride alongs should be reserved for non-competition runs,
> to be conducted after runs that count for results or points.  It simply is
> not fair for any competitor, of any level, to experience the course from
> a car, at race pace (especially driving), more times than his competition.

I'm going to wade right in here. The TN Region  encourages you to ride
along, or take a passenger on any run. Most drivers are happy to take on a
passenger, many even on their last run of the day. It gives another point of
view not only for the rider, but for the driver after the run is over.

 If everybody can ride as much as they want, where is the advantage to any
individual? Sure I can understand the no-ride rule at a Pro-Solo or National
level, but at the regional?

Steve Hoult  '89 SC   ASP 9   Flat Duck Racing
Visit the MR2 SC Registry at www.mr2sc.com