Re: How does a region foster nationally competitive drivers?

To: <PZahornask@aol.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: How does a region foster nationally competitive drivers?
From: "David Hawkins" <otgrouch@twosrus.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 23:41:44 -0500
> I think a new competitor should be focusing on developing skills
>and having a good time--not trying to win a series trophy.  Too much
>emphasis on results detracts from the learning process.  Seat time, seat
>time, seat time....get more, walk more and put it all together.  It takes
>time, no one does it overnight or in a single season.  (If any Team.netters
>out there DID do it in a single season, I'm jealous, and I think we'd all
>like to know your secret!!)

Well, here's my example.  I'm trying to help someone locally who is
relatively new to driving, let alone autox.  All last year, this person was
at the bottom of the timing sheet for all classes.  Having fun, but not
improving much.  Seat time will only go so far without instruction IN THE
CAR.  With a few runs in the car and out of the car instruction, this person
has moved up several places in the overall standings.  Not going after a
trophy, trying to get better.

As for seat time, seat time, seat time...no argument here, but seat time
by yourself will only get you so far.  My largest improvements came last
year after riding with Reagan Baker in my car in Dothan.  I saw a LOT
that I was doing wrong that I would NEVER have fixed on my own.  Then
in Denver, I let Taka Aono drive my car.  Again, a lot of stuff that I
wouldn't
have done myself.

You can tell someone over and over that slower is faster, but until they
see what you mean from inside the car, it won't sink in.

I still contend that a jacket or mug (or whatever your local region gives as
year end awards) isn't worth stunting the development of newbies.  I've
even reduced my campaign to allowing the newbies to ride with experienced
folks.  This would let them see technique and develop as a driver while not
allowing the 'unfair advantage' of seeing the course again to someone who
can put it to serious use.

Regional events should be for learning and fun....and I think it's this
fundamental
concept that lies behind the rulebook NOT disallowing passengers on
competition runs at the regional level.  When you're playing for money
(divisional
or national level), then it's single person.

David Hawkins
85 Mr2 CSP/ITA
TLS 15