Re: How does a region foster nationally competitive drivers?

To: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com>
Subject: Re: How does a region foster nationally competitive drivers?
From: Robert Glover <rob@f-body.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 14:58:15 -0700 (PDT)
I'll make an attempt at this, relative to the San Francisco Region, which
I'm a member of...

On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Brian M Kennedy wrote:
> Do any regions:
>       1) Allow many more than 4 runs, though perhaps
>           at added cost?  and/or not for points?

We usually have four runs except during the winter months when there is
less daylight, in which case we do three runs.  Events with smaller
attendence will sometimes have fun runs.

To get more than four around here, its best to attend the Sacramento
Region events, or American Autocross.  They all run at least five runs,
sometimes six, and will often haev fun runs at additional cost.

>       2) Encourage drivers to ride with each other?

This is always an option here.

>       3) Set up run groups so that top drivers can
>          more easily ride with others?

That isn't always practical, except we do separate (usually, but not
always) the rookie classes from the non-rookie classes (for example, ESR-R
runs in a different group than ESP).

>       4) Allow top drivers to drive others' cars,
>          showing them how to take certain sections
>          better?

This is up to the individual and the superior driver. :)  Never hurts to
ask.

>       5) Offer instruction from their top drivers at
>          each event, perhaps for extra fees?

While I'm no pro, I've been able to offer pointers whenever asked, and
most people usually are more than happy to help new people.

>       6) Offer multiple autox driving schools?

We have one per year that we put on ourselves, and this year, AAS put on a
McKamey school (both phases).

> In my experience, I learn the most when I see (and feel) just how
> fast a top driver can take certain sections.  I can fairly quickly
> emulate others... but find it very difficult to figure out which
> sections I can take faster... usually requires a lot more than 4
> runs.

This is something you need to learn much sooner.  It takes time, and I'm
far from perfect.  The BEST advice I can offer (based on what I've
learned) is to do all your braking before you even start turning.  Then
you can accelerate into, through, and out of the turn.  Also, try to look
at least one turn ahead and drive the current one using your peripheral
vision (that's the best way I can describe it).  This is something taught
at McKamey, and is very valuable.  I'm still trying to perfect it.

> So, what _do_ regions do to help foster great drivers?

I'm not certain if regions really go out of their ways to do this... I see
it as more up to the individual to seek out help.  It's usually there, all
you have to do is ask.

Rob