Re: Turbo Update/Backdate - A Solution

To: Mac Crossett <delta-v@kscable.com>
Subject: Re: Turbo Update/Backdate - A Solution
From: Joshua Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 16:44:01 -0700
Mac Crossett wrote:

[snip]

> My whole beef with this situation is that at least 4 people inquired and
> were told by someone representing SCCA (not necessarily SEB) that it was a
> legal swap.  There are a number of people who have made the swap based on
> that.  Now, not only is it specificly disallowed, but the status of it's
> current legality is uncertain.  Something stinks in the state of Colorado...

        This attitude of "getting shafted by Denver" is starting to stink a
little too...

        Yes, I personally think that the update/backdate rule as was
-interpreted- made for interesting development. And while I think it's a
pretty cool idea to swap on an older turbo, I do think that the turbo
should be considered part of the engine. N/A cars can't swap cams or
valves which noticeably change the way air is drawn into the motor, and
that is what I see as the analogy. But you know what? That's not a big
issue for me. What is the problem I see is that people here are saying
that they got the rug pulled out from under them. And I don't think
that's true.

        Yes, a number of people called the main office about the 14b to T-25
swap and asked about it. But there is no official response tech line in
the Rally/Solo dept. Anything that comes from any single SCCA official
or member is nothing more than well intended -advice-. The SEB is the
sole source of gospel. To a number of people, they seem to believe that
if "Denver says so" means anyone in a position of responsibility in the
SCCA. I often will talk to members of the SEB themselves, asking about
rules clarifications, or possible interpretations, and any responses I
get from them are taken as -advice-. Saying that "GH told me I could" or
anything like that doesn't hack it. I know, and I think anyone who is
investing in what may be a gray interpretation modification should also
know, is that the SEB makes the final call. GH, or Guy, or Bob, or
Bruce, or Howard for that matter, or any of the other SEB members singly
do not have the authority to categorically approve or disapprove
anything. They do however have a great deal of experience, and have been
doing this for years. They can give very good guidance, and can advise
how something might be interpreted by the SEB. But until the SEB meets,
discuses the issue, and makes a decision, any advice or suggestions
received from any of them should be considered just that and nothing
more. Maybe this isn't clear enough in the rules, I don't know. I don't
have my S2R here with me to check. yeah, what kind of team.net'er am I
without a rule book sitting right next to my computer with handy
reference tags on different pages. :-)

> It's not a difficult swap, and it would probably cost me the $75 I spent on
> a used 14B, which I'll probably put back on after the season's over anyway.
> It'll be interesting to see how the T25 affects my autox times.

        I'd like to hear about it. I'm genuinely interested in what kind of
difference that'd make. If it's of any interest, if I had the money, I'd
be sorely tempted to buy a DSM car myself. But, I don't...

-Josh2

--
Joshua Hadler    '74 914 2.0 CSP/Bi - Hooligan Racing #29 - CONIVOR
                 '87 Quantum Syncro - aka stealth quattro

jhadler@rmi.net
http://rainbow.rmi.net/~jhadler/