RE: Turbo Update/Backdate - A Solution

To: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Turbo Update/Backdate - A Solution
From: "Mohler, Jeff" <jeff.mohler@wilcom.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 08:51:01 -0500
I disagree with this logic.  SP modifications allow you to open up intake
congestion such that the engine can pull in all the air it can.  The
potential gains there are just not too big -- the max is limited by the
engine vacuum and is rarely much higher than the stock intake.  That is
easy to class properly.
---

First off, I apologise for the double-response, synaptic flatulence caught
me and I didnt complete the first post.

BUT, you dont think turbo cars have the same, if not more airflow issues
than an N/A?  Of course they do.

The rules would just be so much simpler if they read the same for turbo and
N/A alike..to basically mod to the limits of the stock design airflow
limits. *shrug* Sounds pretty easy to me.  SHOULD..SHOULD..a turbo car
become a ringer, upgrade the monster.  Isnt that what theyd do if say a
Camaro suddenly was capable of 100Hp per litre like those magical mystery
turbo cars in stock form?  Lets not even bring up the Hp/cc ratio on the
RX7, someone in Detroit really missed the boat there. (and most the rest of
the world too..the NHRA basically set the precedent for SCCA by simply
DQ'ing the rotary for 'no apparent reason' other than it torqued off the
piston driven industry)

That's completely different than allowing you to force in air.  The
potential there is huge.  And since you can get widely varying gains
with relatively small mods of turbo systems, the potential for grossly
unfair classing is nontrivial.
---

Ok..grossly unfair classing.  Lesse.  One solution would be "changing
classing" and the other would be "middle management tactics".  Which do you
think would be fair, which do you think will take the next 10 years to
decide the other way would have been right the first time.

And since the number of SP competitors that could possibly benefit from
the rule is so small, while the number of SP competitors that could get
burned in the future is much larger, I think the SEB has the right answer.
---

Who's gonna get burned?

I'd rather see a grandfathering rule for the DSM guys, than see the SP
rules opened up for the potential problems that future turbo models
could cause.
---

Again, what potential problems?  Stock hardware on the engine..run to the
airflow design limits..so what?

Im not saying you dont understand turbocharging, or the things involved, but
at most events I go to, Ive been able to suprise a few people by clearing up
a number of misconceptions, and that I belive is the heart of the whole
problem.