Re: Turbo Update/Backdate - A Solution

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Turbo Update/Backdate - A Solution
From: steve.cirian@us.pwcglobal.com
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 09:59:17 -0500
>>However, I still kinda like DG's earlier proposal of allowing open boost
>>controls, so long as the turbo(s), oiling systems, and housings are not
>>modified.  Or something like that.  Simplifies the rules considerably,

>The downsides to this will be that some cars will be prone to serious lean
>conditions, overheating, or any number of problems, which THEY will have
>live with as manufacturing issues that none of us can do anything about.

I would tend to disagree with this (even as a turbo guy).  There are a
number of reasons I would not let people run as much boost as they want.

The lean conditions can be dealt with within the SP rules (I don't have
these in front of me); I think they allow engine computers, bigger fuel
injectors, and upgraded fuel pumps.

A big honkin' intercooler will take care of the heat issue, that plus
downpipes and removal of the main cats will keep things cool enough for a
minute or two run.

There are a few other rotary tricks that might get the 13B-REW (RX-7 TT
engine) making a ton of power - possibly up to 500 RWHP - within SP rules
if boost was unlimited.  (Depending on exactly what is allowed - porting,
etc.  I have not started to do my engine yet, so I haven't started looking
at the rules.)  Not too shabby for a 1.3 liter engine.

>Second downside..the more air you attempt to move thru a turbo (past stock
>values) the less efficient it will become, adding serious amounts of heat
>the intake charge.

Valves?  What valves?  We don' need no stinkin' pistons either!  :-)

I would opt for allowing boost controls and LIMITING boost to stock level.
(Would have to be demonstrable.)  This would meet the spirit of the rules
for not giving an unfair advantage to turbo cars.  But mighty hard to
police.

Cheers,

Steve Cirian
Director, Department of Differently-Engined Vehicles

'95 RX-7 TT (rotary)               #95 ASP Chicago Region SCCA, TSSCC
'65 Land-Rover (diesel)            http://www.ScuderiaCiriani.com/rx7

computer.