Re: How does a region foster nationally competitive drivers?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: How does a region foster nationally competitive drivers?
From: PZahornask@aol.com
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 09:09:48 EDT
In a message dated 6/25/99 12:31:16 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
pethier@isd.net writes:

> I personally don't think it should be the mission of a region to foster
>  nationally competitive drivers.
>
>  The mission should be to give the local autocrossers the most autocross
>  enjoyment possible.  The people with the natural talent to be nationally
>  competitive drivers will quickly rise to the top on the local scene.  If
>  they also have the financial wherewithal and the lifestyle that
accommodates
>  travel, they will naturally gravitate to national-level events.
>
>  If the local region has the organizational skills and manpower to handle
it,
>  putting on a Divisional or Tour would be nice.
>
>  But providing good local events is the strength of this sport.

I think it really depends on what is available locally.  Here in New England
we have a number of local clubs that put on events.  This weekend alone,
there are 4 autocrosses within 3 hours of my house.  It is entirely possible
to autocross in New England almost every weekend from March to October if you
don't mind doing a little driving.  Thus NER can afford to run a program that
helps people go after their National aspirations.

Paul Zahornasky