Re: Revised STU Proposed Rules - Plan of attack

To: <dg50@daimlerchrysler.com>, "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Revised STU Proposed Rules - Plan of attack
From: Scott Mitchell <scott@fortner.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 99 17:52:54 -0400
Dennis,

You've got a lot of responce already. And I wish you luck. Here are a
couple of my comments.

I think you might want to restrict motor swaps a bit more. Perhaps within
a 'corprate family' but also with the same number of cylinders/rotors.
And just how do you define a corporate family? Someone else mentioned the
Ford/Mazda/Jaguar bit. But what about changing ownerships? Could someone
with a Cavalier use a Lotus 4 banger? After all GM owned Lotus at one
point. But they don't now.

Pat MacAvoy wrote:
>I think this needs work from the beginning...  You've just made forced
>  induction (of some kind; turbo or blower) almost manditory.  A 3.1 liter
>  NA motor has far less available power than the forced versions.  I think
>  you may need something about 3.1 for NA and 60% for forced-air cars.
>  (I realize this would defeat your agenda, but I think there needs to
>  be some recognition that NA and pressurized engines are different)

I think he's right. You are going from a class that (debatably)
descriminates against turbos to one that requires them to be competitive.
Besides if you allow 5.0+ NA motors perhaps you can pick up some of the
Mustang/Camaro folks with the dreaded SFCs.

And Pat continued:
>Okay, so that means that a porsche 944 turbo (951) is legal.  Cool.  That
>  sounds like your class ringer.   Maybe even the lighter, skinnier 931
>  (924 turbo).  Are the DSM guys going to like going up against the
>  turbo porsches?

Doh! I bet you didn't see that one coming. Also consider a Lotus Elan+2
with an Esprit Turbo 4 in it... I'd want the V8 but it's too big ;). How
do you define an objective way of splitting out the 'sportscar based' 4
seaters? I mean (arguably) the DSM is 'sportscar' based. I hate to say
it, but perhaps you need an exclusion list or even an <sigh> inclusion
list is needed.

Best of luck,
Scott Mitchell
70 Europa S2 - ASP

"Don't know much about the future... less about the past.
Don't worry about the present, damn thing won't last" - James Harman