RE: Revised STU Proposed Rules - Plan of attack

To: "'dg50@daimlerchrysler.com'" <dg50@daimlerchrysler.com>,
Subject: RE: Revised STU Proposed Rules - Plan of attack
From: Phil Osborne <posborne@minuteman-ups.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 13:48:15 -0500

> It is either a street car or it isn't...

And under these proposed rules, a street car is one that has all the
equipment
in STU.1C. If there's something you think should be there but is not, tell
me.

DG
[Phil Osborne]
Dennis, you left out one of my questions, that being:

Why do we want to perpetuate another class under the guise of Street
Touring that is not a street legal car?  If STU is to be a derivitive of
ST, then all those rules that apply to ST in terms of street legal,
licensed, and insurance if the state requires it, should be carried over to
STU.  Otherwise, trailered only STU cars become a further bastardized
Street Prepared class, which is the real reason  (as I understand it
anyway) for Street Touring to begin with. As I stated in my previous reply
directly to you, if the car is NOT street legal, it should not fall under
STU rules...

And while we are citing examples, if a guy comes in off the street in an
ultra prepped Honda Civic, complete with aftermarket turbo/supercharger,
isn't he/she the target audience for STU?  What happens to the guy with the
street legal car now when he comes to play and is stuck in Street Prepared?
 He gets thoroughly trounced by the "real" street prepared cars and
consequently heads back to his drag race crowd....The same scenario would
be repeated in Street Touring Unlimited with the driver of the souped up
Honda Civic...

I applaud your efforts and suggestions, but still question why we need
another class of all out race cars, and especially question why it would
fall under rules meant to entice the folks with modded out street legal
cars.  All I am saying is the rules should be written to allow a car to
remain legal for street use, and indeed licensed for street use if it is to
be considered ST or any derivitive thereof...Anything less should carry an
appropriate name not associated with ST.

Phil O.