RE: Miata CSP advice

To: "Mike Keyes" <mkeyes@interlog.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Miata CSP advice
From: "Jeremy L. Schuster" <jlschuster@home.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 17:59:29 -0500
I've got the same spring and shock combo on my '96M.  I run 225/50/15 Kuhmos
on 15x7s just because I had them laying around. Anyway, I would go with
sways first without hesitation.  I use the Racing Beat tubular 1 1/8" front
with their 5/8" rear bar.  I was concerned about getting lots of oversteer
with this combo, but I must say that it is pretty well balanced.  My
girlfriend, who had a propensity to spin with the stock sways, didn't spin
at all during our last (very technical) event.  I use a pretty conservative
alignment right now; -.75 camber in the front, -1 in the rear with 0 toe all
the way around, but I will be dialing in more - camber when I get the
chance.

 You've already got R-tires, so the 13s would have a terrible
bang-for-the-buck ratio given the very small performance increase. The
engine stuff is of little if any real value, so save I'd save that for last.
Basically, the sways will give you a tremendous handling benefit (especially
in slaloms) with almost no real downside, cost or otherwise.

Jeremy L. Schuster