Re: Miata CSP advice

To: Mike Keyes <mkeyes@interlog.com>
Subject: Re: Miata CSP advice
From: Iain Mannix <mannix@privateI.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 18:21:18 -0600 (MDT)
The tires and wheels would be next on my list, too.  13xwide(not a
13x6) makes a considerable difference, at least on my VW Rabbit(DSP) -
I switched from a 14x6/205/55-14 to 13x7 w215/50-13 R1s a few seasons
ago, and the difference was quite significant - switching from the 7s
to 9s made another noticable difference, but not as noticable when
switching from 14 to 13.  I now use 225/50-13 Hoosier radials/A3SO3 on
a 9" wheel, and it is _very_ worthwhile.

Lowering the CG is probably not as important on a Miata as it is a
Rabbit, but the added acceleration combined with more lateral grip
made an enormous difference.

Regionally, we have a guy competing in an ITB Rabbit - the only
significant difference between his car and mine is the wheel/tire
combo; he has IT legal 14x6/205/55 R1.  Both cars have similar
suspensions, limited slips, fresh engines, yadda yadda yadda.  Mine is
lighter, but weights with driver are probably comparable.  He's
consistently 2 seconds slower than me - I probably have a smidge more
power, but the cars are really quite similar.  Might not be 100% tire,
but a good portion of the time difference is.

Like Josh said, you'll probably want to change suspension stuff later
anyway - I would not build the car around the 14s; I'd get 13s and be
done with it(for now, Miatas can obviously go fast on wide 15s or 16s,
too).

I doubt the smaller OD is worth a whole lot on the Miata - some, as
you will lower the CG/gearing, but adding 3" wheel width and 20mm of
tire is worth a _lot_, if you ask me.

Don't undersestimate the power of a wide wheel:).

I.Mannix