RE: Miata CSP advice

To: "Autox List" <Autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Miata CSP advice
From: "Cliff Loh" <cliff_loh@infoserve.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 01:31:18 -0700
From: Mike Keyes <mkeyes@interlog.com>

>Hi! I have a 90 Miata with the following: 14 x 6 alloy wheels with
205-55
>14 BFG R1's. I have Ground Control Coil-overs with 375 lb front and
250 lb
>rear springs with Koni single adjustable shocks. I am wondering what
my
>next purchase should be:
>13 inch wheels and tires with a smaller diameter
>modify air intake and exhaust system
>new sway bars and bushings

Being a) a driver of small underpowered cars, and b) a co-driver of a
CSP Miata at Seattle Tour (no it doesn't make me an expert),  I agree
with Josh and Iain.  Why?  Power via intake and exhaust mods are very
tiny in relation to the other items.  You can sell your 14x6 alloys
and/or R-1's while they still have some value or use the 14" rims for
the street.  Choosing and tuning sway bars for the 14" setup will
totally change again once you switch to 13's.

Benefits of 13 x wide rims -

Lighter than 14's = less rotating mass means better acceleration and
braking.
Less unsprung weight.  Lightest combination is a Duralight or Keizer
w/ Hoosier bias-ply Autocrosser.
lowers CG
better gearing

Sway bars matched to the suspension and 13" rim setup are next.  Then
comes a posi diff.

-c.
Cliff Loh, Vancouver, B.C. CANADA
"I started out with nothing & still have most of it left."
cliff_loh@infoserve.net,
inbred_hick@yahoo.com (alternate)