Re: Autocross Insurance Claim

To: Jonathan Roberts <jorober5@vt.edu>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Autocross Insurance Claim
From: "D. Engelhaupt" <derekengelhaupt@rocketmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 10:41:39 -0700 (PDT)
Well Jonathan, that's a pretty tough question.  I have USAA also.  I
asked them directly about Driving Schools and Autocross.  They told me
that their underwriters wouldn't cover it.  BUT - I know others on the
Miata.Net List with USAA that have put in claims for Driving Schools
or Autocross accidents and they were paid.  I have also heard that
USAA's coverage can tend to vary depending on what state you are in to
adhere to different state's insurance laws.  Unfortuneately, my answer
about USAA would be a definate "maybe".  BTW, I've head similar
stories about State Farm.  I think you should probably go with USAA
since *you* were the driver.  Most insurance companies insure the
driver (not the car).  I'm insured no matter what car I am driving at
the time.  I believe there is a clause in the policy that describes
car being "loaned" to you.

===
Derek Engelhaupt
Product Engineer
Hewlett Packard
'97 White Mazda Miata
St. Paul, MN

Be the change that you want to see in the world.
-- M. K. Gandhi

---Jonathan Roberts <jorober5@vt.edu> wrote:

> I've seen the thread about turning in claims that occurred at an
autocross.
>  I realize that some companies are more "autocross friendly" than
others
> and now the time has come to face this question head on.
>
> So, does anyone have any direct experience with either State Farm or
USAA
> with regard to an autocross claim?  If so, would you please email
and tell
> me what you found?  My insurance is USAA and the driver's is State
Farm, so