Re: using diff brake pads in front&rear with ABS

To: fizzx@att.net
Subject: Re: using diff brake pads in front&rear with ABS
From: Craig Blome <cblome@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 05:18:59 -0700 (PDT)
Jason Powell wrote:

>I'm looking to increase stopping power so I'm looking
into high perf pads.
>Since the fronts do most of the work I'm wondering if
I can leave the OEM
>pads on the rear and save myself $80...the OEM pads
on the miata are pretty good.

I guess my question is "why bother?"  The '99 Miata's
brakes are already very good, and most "high
performance" pads must get warm before they start to
work (i.e. in Wisconsin, the first few stops in winter
weather will be pretty dicey)  I have a '96 with ABS,
and Porterfield R4S pads on the front worked fine with
stock in the rear (though I have Porterfields all
round now).  If I did it over again I'd just stay with
the OEM pads.

I've got more improvement in braking from seat time
than by changing pads by a wide margin.  Learning to
threshold brake/trail brake wins you a lot.

Craig Blome