RE: using diff brake pads in front&rear with ABS

To: "'Jason Powell'" <fizzx@att.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: using diff brake pads in front&rear with ABS
From: "Kevin Stevens" <Kevin_Stevens@Bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 00:34:40 -0700
Didn't we just go through this?  (confused)

If you can lock the wheels readily different pads cannot give you more
"stopping power".  They may resist fade better (not usually an issue in
autox situations), or provide better "feel".  Different pads on different
axles can be used as a poor man's stock-legal brake bias adjustment.

If you want to use different pads on a per axle basis, determine which end
of the car locks up (or enters ABS) first under hard braking in race
conditions.  (Hint:  it will be the front in any '90s car that keeps it's
wheels on the ground.)  If your performance pad provides more friction for a
given pedal pressure than the stock pad, changing pads will produce
increased bias to that axle.

KeS