Re: using diff brake pads in front&rear with ABS

To: Jason Powell <fizzx@att.net>
Subject: Re: using diff brake pads in front&rear with ABS
From: Joshua Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 17:42:50 -0700
Jason Powell wrote:

> > I have a '96 with ABS,
> > and Porterfield R4S pads on the front worked fine with
> > stock in the rear (though I have Porterfields all
> > round now).  If I did it over again I'd just stay with
> > the OEM pads.
>
> I was looking to get the Porterfields as well in my next order to Dealer
> Alt.  I drove a friends '94 with them and really liked the bite they had
> with less pedal pressure.
> The temperature issue was something I'd already considered.  I planned to
> swap the pads in the fall & spring as it does get a wee bit cold here in
> cheeseland.

I run Porterfields on my 914, and the only time the cold is a problem is
the first stop of the day. They get warm really quickly, but they take a
whole lot to get hot. By warm I mean that the brakes actually work, and
by hot I mean their operating temperature. THey grab really really well,
and require less pedal effort. However, there is a downside. They EAT
brake rotors.

-Josh2

--
Joshua Hadler    '74 914 2.0 CSP/Bi - Hooligan Racing #29 - CONIVOR
                 '87 Quantum Syncro - aka stealth quattro

jhadler@rmi.net
http://rainbow.rmi.net/~jhadler/