Suburban towing capabilities

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Suburban towing capabilities
From: "Phillip S. Osborne" <psosborn@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 19:06:08 -0400
Hi Folks,
I am researching the towing capabilities of a Suburban, 2wd 1500 model that
does not have a tow pkg per se, but comes equipped with the trans cooler,
engine cooler, 46mm Bilstien shocks, and wiring harness.  The dealer says
that this encompasses the tow pkg, but does not have the receiver.  I am
also advised by the dealer, and he showed me in his book, that it has an
8,000 lb towing capability.  However, upon checking info on the Chevy
website, I am advised that the towing capacity is only 5,500 lbs with a 3.42
gear, and goes up to 6,500 with a 3.73 gear.  I had purchased this vehicle
based on advice offered by the dealer sales guy, who seemed to know what he
was talking about, and backed it up with his book.  However, on the way home
from the dealership, the brakes went south, so I took it back, told them I
did not want a vehicle I was towing 7,000 lbs with to start it's life in my
garage with bad brakes, so they are taking it back, and advising they will
replace it with a like vehicle.  Now, I am wondering if I want the same
vehicle with same equipment if it will not meet my towing needs.  Anyone who
has experience with Suburban towing, please advise.  I need to know
something asap...

Phil Osborne
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"