Re: Drivers Ed and Timing

To: "Joshua Hadler" <jhadler@rmi.net>
Subject: Re: Drivers Ed and Timing
From: "Justin Hughes" <ka1ult@channel1.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 14:15:13 -0400
> > As far as I'm aware, they are allowed if mounted securely.  I see what
> > you're getting at - turn on the clock on the display, and poof, you can
> > watch the video and calculate your times to within a second or so.
That's a
> > possibility I hadn't considered.
>
> Right. But you won't be able to evaluate any of that until -after- the
> lapping session. That I think is the key difference. Having a real time
> timing of your laps, vs. reviewing a recording.

True, but a friend in the stands timing you with a stopwatch isn't going to
be able to give you your times until after the session anyway (unless you
have a clandestine two way radio setup in your helmet).  I think a lot of it
is the intent.  A video camera lets you tape your lapping sessions and
review your technique later, not to mention brag to friends and family over
a couple of cold ones. ;)  A stopwatch is specifically for timing, and
nothing else.  Being able to calculate your lap times by watching a video is
merely a beneficial side effect.

    - Justin