Re: Fwd: Drivers Ed and Timing

To: CTLawson@compuserve.com
Subject: Re: Fwd: Drivers Ed and Timing
From: Woody Hair <woodym3@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 21:22:44 -0400
Cliff,
I am a BMWCCA instructor for about 10 chapters on the east coast.  I
assure you that stopwatches and HotLap timers are openly used by
students and instructors alike.  There is nothing in the BMWCCA Driver
School standards that mention use of timers by the participants.  A
number of West Coast BMW Club chapters prohibit stopwatches and this is
mentioned in their applications, but K&K, our insurance carrier, has no
problem with "timing for consistency".  Timing for competitive purposes
(time trials) is not permitted for the normal BMWCCA track Driver
School.  I suspect that the chapters that prohibit timing are doing so
for the benefit of the participant that has to make a damage claim.  If
the insurance carrier sees written documentation that timing is banned,
it is much easier to make a case that the event is not "racing".

Some chapters have been joining the standard high performance driver
school with a Club Race.  I suspect a student making a damage claim
would have a harder time convincing his/her insurance company that the
event had nothing to do with racing.
Woody Hair