Re: Drivers Ed and Timing

To: Justin Hughes <ka1ult@channel1.com>
Subject: Re: Drivers Ed and Timing
From: Joshua Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 14:09:48 -0700
Justin Hughes wrote:

> > > As far as I'm aware, they are allowed if mounted securely.  I see what
> > > you're getting at - turn on the clock on the display, and poof, you can
> > > watch the video and calculate your times to within a second or so.
> That's a
> > > possibility I hadn't considered.
> >
> > Right. But you won't be able to evaluate any of that until -after- the
> > lapping session. That I think is the key difference. Having a real time
> > timing of your laps, vs. reviewing a recording.
>
> True, but a friend in the stands timing you with a stopwatch isn't going to
> be able to give you your times until after the session anyway (unless you
> have a clandestine two way radio setup in your helmet).

        I don't believe there's anything illegal (or 'disallowed' would be a
better choice of wording) in having radio communication. Certainly any
racer who is at a DE event for seat time or instruction is likely to
have a radio in their helmet already. But I don't know the rules about
all the different clubs, so I'm not sure.

> I think a lot of it
> is the intent.  A video camera lets you tape your lapping sessions and
> review your technique later, not to mention brag to friends and family over
> a couple of cold ones. ;)  A stopwatch is specifically for timing, and
> nothing else.  Being able to calculate your lap times by watching a video is
> merely a beneficial side effect.

I agree completely.

-Josh2

--
Joshua Hadler    '74 914 2.0 CSP/Bi - Hooligan Racing #29 - CONIVOR
                 '87 Quantum Syncro - aka stealth quattro

jhadler@rmi.net
http://rainbow.rmi.net/~jhadler/