Re: Pick the winners?

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Pick the winners?
From: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 21:11:37 -0500

Jim & Marilyn Rohn wrote:

> At 9:39 PM 8/18/99, Hottvr@aol.com wrote:
> >What I wanted to say, and didn't was, Isn't this deal called the "Sports Car
> >Club of America"? Why should a driver of other than U.S. citizenship be
> >allowed to compete? Cars have been disqualified for not being imported into
> >the U.S.! And that was fine, then why can someone from another country come
> >and compete in the U.S. Nationals? In a car that was fabricated outside the
> >U.S. and driven by none U.S. citizens! Just some food for thought.
> >

> oooooooooh, I *LIKE* your ideas ....

I see two issues here...

One is the car.  If a mod car can't be "fabricated outside the US", then
I suppose all of the Porsches, BMW's, Lotii, LBC's, Japanese cars, and
even Mike's TVR should also be excluded from competition in the SCCA
Solo II Nationals?

Second is the driver.  Is this really a problem?  As far as I know, US
citizenship is not a requirement to being a member of the SCCA.  I know
we have one Canadian (a citizen and full-time resident of Canada) member
in our Region.  Is it any less fun for us to allow these few
"international" members to compete?  Or are you guys just afraid of a
little extra competition?

Yes, this IS the Sports Car Club of America... but I think you need to
neatly fold that flag and put it back on the shelf.

--
Loren Williams | Homepage - http://home.kscable.com/shad
'94 Saturn SC2 | Wichita Region SCCA - http://www2.southwind.net/~scca