Re: Pick the winners?

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Pick the winners?
From: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 21:45:32 -0500

Hottvr@aol.com wrote:

> It's been busting my butt for several years. Some guy shows up with a Morgan
> +8 every year at the Nats and has to run "unofficially" because the car was
> never "officially" imported into the U.S.

I believe this is (or would be) a Stock class car.  The rules require...
whatever they require.

> But you can bring a totally fabricated "One off"
> from Canada and its "Ok".

Not in stock class, it isn't.  Not even in SP.  I don't even think it
would fit in a P class since those cars are all supposed to be
production based.  But there are some mod classes (A Mod, for instance)
that allow you to start from a pile of sheet metal, scrap iron and a
parts bin and build a car... doesn't matter where you build it.

In a nutshell, if you don't like the way these rules are written...
"write a letter".

> Maybe I'm way off base here? I'm sure I'm gonna hear
> how wrong I am for my views but, What the HELL!.
>
> OK It's off my chest, Sports Car Club of America, Should be just
> that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> For Americans.

Again, that's not the way the rules (or bylaws in this case, I guess)
are written... or if they are written that way, it's not common
knowledge.  Hey, wait... I happen to have a copy of the National SCCA
bylaws, let me dig 'em out.

Okay, section 2 sums it up best:

"PURPOSES.  The nature of the activities to be conducted and the
purposes to be promoted and carried out are as follows:  To promote the
interest in sports cars and other fine automobiles and to encourage
their safe and skillful operation, by developing, arranging and
regulating closed circuit road racing, rallying, and other forms of
automotive competition, by dissemination of information through news
releases and Club publications, and through related social and
recreation activities for the instruction and enjoyment of its members."

>From this, I glean that the club is about cars, not about being an
American.  The way the bylaws are written, anyone who loves cars enough
to want to be a member of our organization is welcome.  I rather like it
that way.

--
Loren Williams | Homepage - http://home.kscable.com/shad
'94 Saturn SC2 | Wichita Region SCCA - http://www2.southwind.net/~scca