Re: Cooling Intercoolers on Grid

To: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>
Subject: Re: Cooling Intercoolers on Grid
From: Joshua Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 23:45:46 -0600
Paul Foster wrote:

> I dunno. Cooling radiators on grid on Solo race cars that have
> inadequate cooling due to slow speeds, short distances, and long delays,
> and supercooling intercoolers with fairly exotic substances seems to me
> to be two separate issues.

        I think that cooling down any part of your car that gets hot between
runs is perfectly legal. So long as you don't take that cooling
device/method past the starting line and onto the course.

> Do we allow liquid nitrogen? How about liquid helium?

        Sure, why not? First off, you've got to haul around that big ass dewar.
And secondly, you've got to have a majorly deep bank account to keep
replacing all of those cracked and shattered expensive engine parts that
keep getting thermally shocked and fracturing. On a strictly
thermodynamics basis, on a hot grid, without fairly specialized
equipment, you can't get much better than a decent garden sprayer with
ice water in it. A CO2 extinguisher might work better if you can get it
plumbed into the right locations, but you might suffer the same damage
you'd get from the -really- cold stuff like LN2.

-Josh2

--
Joshua Hadler    '74 914 2.0 CSP/Bi - Hooligan Racing #29 - CONIVOR
                 '87 Quantum Syncro - aka stealth quattro

jhadler@rmi.net
http://rainbow.rmi.net/~jhadler/