Re: Cooling Intercoolers on Grid

To: autox mail list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cooling Intercoolers on Grid
From: <csims@simshome.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 16:45:00 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Paul Foster wrote:

> I dunno. Cooling radiators on grid on Solo race cars that have
> inadequate cooling due to slow speeds, short distances, and long delays,
> and supercooling intercoolers with fairly exotic substances seems to me
> to be two separate issues. Do we allow liquid nitrogen? How about liquid
> helium?

Not really different.  You are cooling part of the car, in the hope that it
will run better if the given part is cooler.  I don't think the exoticness
of cooling substance is of any importance at all.  Is it ok to spray water
on my radiator/intercooler/what-ever, but not liquid nitrogen?

With regards to modifications of the car, the concept of "if the rules
don't say that you can do it, then you can't" works fine.  This doesn't
work as well for actions that are taken by people, especially off the
course.  I don't think that rules say that I "can use the port-a-poty"
between runs.

--

Chris Sims
www.simshome.com