Re: Cooling Intercoolers on Grid

To: Joshua Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>
Subject: Re: Cooling Intercoolers on Grid
From: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 18:35:32 -0400
Joshua Hadler wrote:

> Paul Foster wrote:
> >
> > Here is the rule: (THANK YOU JERRY MOUTON!)
> >
> > "...As utilized only on engines originally equipped with forced
> > induction, air-to-air heat exchangers (known as "intecoolers"), and
> > radiators which are part of air-to-liquid charge coolers, must be cooled
> > only by the atmosphere.  The use of chilled liquids, ice, dry ice,
> > refrigeration systems, vaporized compressed gases, etc. is
> > prohibited..."
> >
> > This appears to me to cover both on grid and during the run. It may not
> > be what the rulesmakers intended, but it looks like a good case for a
> > protest...
>
> This is totally a semantics issue and I would consider a wennie protest
> if ever there was one. The Rules don't allow for water sprays in the
> grid to spray down tires or radiators. And we all know that "if it
> doesn't say you can, then you can't" would mean that everyone of you
> that sprays down your radiator after a run is illegal.
>
> Yeesh, gimme a break!
>
> That rule was written to prohibit water-to-air intercoolers and the like
> of "cool-can" devices. The rule applies to cars as driven. They do not
> apply to whatever you choose to do to (or in) your car so long as
> non-driving rules are still followed. e.g. safety etc.

I dunno. Cooling radiators on grid on Solo race cars that have
inadequate cooling due to slow speeds, short distances, and long delays,
and supercooling intercoolers with fairly exotic substances seems to me
to be two separate issues. Do we allow liquid nitrogen? How about liquid
helium?

Paul Foster