Re: Cooling Intercoolers on Grid

To: Mtnman3620@aol.com
Subject: Re: Cooling Intercoolers on Grid
From: Joshua Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 16:03:12 -0700
Mtnman3620@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 8/19/99 11:36:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time, pfoster@gdi.net
> writes:
>
> << An interesting point came up on the RX7 list - the use of pressurized
>  CO2 to cool intercoolers on grid. Are people doing this at SCCA events
>  now? Will there be people doing it in Topeka next month? >>
>
> Is this actually better than using ice water?  I can't remember all my
> physics and thermodynamics...

        I would guess that depends on what angle the intercooler is at. If
water sprayed (or poured) onto the intercooler can get through the
cooler core and touch all of the surfaces, that'd be a more efficient
transfer of heat. As there are more water molecules per volume than
there are of compressed CO2. That's what is helping bring down the temp.
So if you have a hard to reach or awkwardly sloped intercooler, than
perhaps a CO2 fire extinguisher is a better way to go.

-Josh2

--
Joshua Hadler    '74 914 2.0 CSP/Bi - Hooligan Racing #29 - CONIVOR
                 '87 Quantum Syncro - aka stealth quattro

jhadler@rmi.net
http://rainbow.rmi.net/~jhadler/