Re: Cooling Intercoolers on Grid

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cooling Intercoolers on Grid
From: "richard nichols" <rnichol1@san.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 15:45:02 -0700
Joshua Hadler said:

> >         Richard, the rules apply to cars while running on course. The
CO2 idea

To which Paul Foster said:

> Here is the rule: (THANK YOU JERRY MOUTON!)
>
> "...As utilized only on engines originally equipped with forced
> induction, air-to-air heat exchangers (known as "intecoolers"), and
> radiators which are part of air-to-liquid charge coolers, must be cooled
> only by the atmosphere.  The use of chilled liquids, ice, dry ice,
> refrigeration systems, vaporized compressed gases, etc. is
> prohibited..."
>
> This appears to me to cover both on grid and during the run. It may not
> be what the rulesmakers intended, but it looks like a good case for a
> protest...

I'm learning all the time, and both of these posters are certainly qualified
to do the teaching.  The notion that one's car could be in a condition that
wouldn't meet the rules just moments before launch, and still be acceptable
to its competition at a regional or national level, is a fascinating one for
me.  Live and learn.  Would be hard to protest in  compound, I can certainly
see that, 'cause it'd all be over by then, in the case of icing the IC.

Having a turbocar, without thinking I've been known to open the hood between
runs to (attempt to) cool down the intercooler.  Physics or no, that baby
gets mighty hot on my car, 'cause it sits above the exhaust manifold (under
the hood scoop).  Doubt it does much good, and if its not kosher, be happy
to stop doing it.

But if I saw a competitor packing his IC with ice between runs, I'd expect
that would help him (I know I'd expect it to be worth doing on my own car)
and wouldn't expect it to be a "weenie" protest (for which I'd expect
protesting mud flaps on a Stock class car to be a good example) because an
ICs job is to remove heat, not add it.  An exhaust manifold on a gasoline
car with a good a/f ratio and at idle, is putting out 800F to 1000F (and at
speed, where it was just before I pulled into grid, 1400F to 1600F).  But I
want my IC to be at ambient (considered to be ~80F at sea level, where I
compete).  BIG difference.  My own IC is WAY too hot to touch between runs.

Richard Nichols
rnichol1@san.rr.com
CP Mustang SVO Turbo/Intercooled
100hp/liter