Re: Connector Corrosion

To: Hottvr@aol.com, racergrl@erols.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Connector Corrosion
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 22:09:41 -0400
At 09:43 PM 8/24/1999 EDT, Hottvr@aol.com wrote:
>I have been fighting the same problem!  I keep cleaning them up and in two
or
>three
>weeks they get kinda green again. I'm a little scared about the dielectric
>grease #
>
>I'm afraid it might cause a dead Short(Not you Byron) in this application.
>Anybody
>have any ideas? On this one? Or is the other option to rewire the trailer
>twice a
>year?

Just checked the info on the container for a tube of Dielectric Grease.

It is used as an insulator for spark plug boots to minimize arc tracking
AND as a lubricant to help remove the boots after 30K to 100K miles (modern
street engines).

It is also highly recommended for dealing with trailer connector corrosion
and for lots of other similar applications.

Due to these applications it is usually available in auto parts stores.

Most electrical connectors are designed to be sort of a spring
fit/interference fit. This will wipe the grease off the contacts when you
fit them together.

I checked a dab of the grease with an ohmmeter. It read open circuit (i.e.
no short) until the probes actually touched.

I still am using the original connector (1991) on my trailer with no
problems so far. I think I've used a small screwdriver (with power off) a
couple of times over the years to spread the male contacts which in my
connector have a split down the middle to provide some of the spring fit
effect.

Dick Rasmussen
CM 85
85 Van Diemen RF-85 Formula Ford