Re: Connector Corrosion

To: racergrl@erols.com, jbowles@carol.net, Hottvr@aol.com
Subject: Re: Connector Corrosion
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@config.mail.virginia.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 07:32:26 -0400

...and Mike B. wrote:

>I have been fighting the same problem!  I keep cleaning them up and in two
>or three weeks they get kinda green again. I'm a little scared about the
>dielectric grease #

I used to use dielectric grease on my trailer connector - and it still got
some serious corrosion.  I put a new connector on the hitch earlier this
summer, and asked our local trailer dealer's mechanic what he suggested
doing about the corrosion problem.  He suggested using silicone spray on
the contacts, and said that the dielectric grease wouldn't work well at
all.  I've had the new connector on for a couple of months (with little
rain at all lately) and haven't gone through a winter yet, but for now
the contacts look great; less corrosion than I'd been seeing when I
used the dielectric grease.

Hope that helps,

John Lye

'59 TR-3A, '62 TR-4, '70 GT-6+