Re: Connector Corrosion

To: Hottvr@aol.com, racergrl@erols.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Connector Corrosion
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 22:20:35 -0400
At 09:43 PM 8/24/1999 EDT, Hottvr@aol.com wrote:
 Or is the other option to rewire the trailer
>twice a
>year?
>
>I seem to have to do it to the C-Mod cars anyway!

Say what?

Mine is towed on an open trailer, in thunderstorms. I check the critical
connections once a year including the coil quick connects which are exposed
to the rain. The biggest concern is the crimp portion of the quick connects
and ring connectors in the primary side of the ignition. Doing a "point
resistance check" (find an "old mechanic to find out how or buy a new
automotive meter with an instruction book like I did :-) ) is a good way to
check connections in the ignition primary of a point and coil ignition.

For the "small" wires, I recommend UL Listed Marine/Boat wire which can be
found in boating supply stores like Boaters World. It is tested for
exposure to water, oil, sunlight, etc. which is what our cars expose it to.
(Note, I work for UL so I know how tough the testing and followup program
is for UL Listed Wire! There are also UL Listed crimp connectors designed
for marine use at Boaters World.)

Dick Rasmussen
CM 85
85 Van Diemen RF-85 Formula Ford