Neon weight

To: <neon@iastate.edu>
Subject: Neon weight
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 00:03:32 -0700
>Hopefully I can get this heavy old R/T down to a nice 2400-2500 lbs...
>that would be ideal... i'm not looking for anything crazy light, jsut
>something nice. lighter than stock, but still a great driver..
>
>Ciao!
>-Ari
===============================
Okay, here's a silly question.

What did your R/T weigh before you started stripping it?  Is it a coupe or a
sedan?

At my last SCCA Solo2 Divisional event I tossed my R/T sedan onto their
scales just for shoots & grins.  My R/T weighed 2665 with the race tires on
the car, a full tank of gas and about 40 pounds worth of extra stuff in the
car.  Hmm, lessee.  Gas weighs about 7 pounds per gallon and I had about 10
gallons too much in the car.  70 pounds of gas + 40 pounds of miscellaneous
stuff equals about 110 pounds of extra (should be removed for race day)
weight.

2665 - 110 = 2555 pounds, without the driver.  DANG!!!  That's still a heavy
Neon.  What gives?  Why is my R/T sedan so heavy?  I thought that the sedans
were supposed to be about 100 pounds lighter than an equivalently optioned
coupe.

I do not have the power windows, locks, sliding sunroof or ABS.  Okay, I do
have a 5 point harness, K&N filter, heavier (read better quality)
replacement speakers at all four corners and one 4 channel amplifier, but
that's it for weight adding mods (besides the driver  ;^).

I have heard unconfirmed rumors of some ACRs weighing around 2300 pounds.
Is this true?  Are they coupes or sedans?  Do I really have 250 pounds of
extra weight with my A/C, stereo, trunk carpet, remote trunk release, rear
defroster, under hood & trunk lights and whatever amount of sound deadening
material that DC puts into the non-ACR cars?

Any insights would be appreciated.

See you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T
<eric10mm@qni.com>

...i went right to it flooded the carburetor
cranked her up, slipped the clutch
and then somehow got into reverse she kicked
what the hell, next minute i was back in neutral
tried and again slow-ly, bare-ly nudg-ing
my lever right...........
"she being brand new"  by ee cummings