RE: Setting up my Car

To: "'David Teague'" <David.Teague@wcom.com>,
Subject: RE: Setting up my Car
From: Alan Pozner <AlanP@identicard.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 13:09:57 -0400
Hi David,

Welcome to cone-world :-)

I also have a '93 DelSol Si with a 1.6L SOHC VTEC that I run in ES. I
purchased it last October and have run in about 25 events since then. I have
1 full year of Auto-X experience so you can consider me an advanced Novice.
Here is my current setup:

1/4" toe out front
1/4" toe out rear
Tokico Illuminas all around.
Fronts set on 5
Rears set on 2-3
Kumho 195/55-14 on Honda Civic HX alloys
Front pressure 40-42psi
Rear pressure 26-30psi
K&N drop in filter
Tanabe G Medalion cat back exhaust.

This setup and my skill (or lack thereof) puts me slightly behind the top
guys in our region's tightly contested ES class and ahead of most other
novices. I usually PAX in the top 40%.

I could go with wider tires but the 195s are 1" less diameter than the 205s
I had (BFG G-FORCE ) The smaller diameter helps keep the revs up which is
something the low-torque Honda really needs. I have found that the Kumhos
seem to have less ultimate grip than the G-Forces but are much more
readable. I would recommend them for a novice when you are ready to switch
to R tires ( some people on this list have suggested that you wait to
purchase R-Tires for a while so you can concentrate on your driving first.
Others seem to feel that you should learn on R-Tires. I think its up to the
individual )

I switched from the stock delSol alloys to the HX wheels for weight savings.
They are an exact match in fit ( same width height offset and centerbore )
but are probably 3-4 lbs lighter. I found a like new set for $135 ea without
hardware.

The Tokicos seem to be a good compromise in street/auto-x shocks. They can
be adjusted from damn hard to softer than stock. Some people have complained
about reliability problems but I have experienced none. One problem is that
they raise the ride height a bit ( gas pressure? )

The K&N really made a noticeable HP difference ( how much is psychological
due to different intake noises is hard to say - I don't have any hard
numbers to back up my feeling but the throttle does seem more responsive)
The exhaust sounds great but I don't think its making the car any faster.

I have tried other setups changing toe, shock valving and tire pressures.
Some settings gave quicker rotation and turn in but I had problems avoiding
lift-throttle oversteer and spins. My current setup is quickest and easiest
to drive - at least for me.

Hope this helps. I'll be interested in hearing how you make out.

Regards,
Alan Pozner
'93 ES delSol
Susquehanna region ( central PA )