Re: New to list

To: Akeem1 <Akeem1@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: New to list
From: John Lieberman <johnlee@softdisk.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 14:09:04 -0500
Welcome to the list, Craig, and to this crazy sport we all love so
dearly!  If I could give you any one piece of advice for starting out
it would be this:  go fast - have fun - be safe!  But, hey!  What else
would you expect the Divisional Solo Safety Steward to say?!?  Don't
ever overlook the fun factor.  No matter how good a driver you are now
or become later, no matter how badly you want to win, have FUN doing
it.

First and foremost, if you haven't already done so, get in touch with
Phil Osborne.  He's the Texas Region's Assistant R.E. for Solo.  His
e-mail address is <psosborn@gte.net> and his phone number is
972-315-1472.

Now, down to the nitty-gritty.  Since you're coming from a drag racing
background, one of the first things you're going to have to learn to
do is turn the steering wheel!!!  Then you're going to have to learn
not to automatically slam the go-pedal to the floor!!!  I know that's
a simplification and I don't intend for it to sound demeaning.  You'll
understand what I mean the first time you attack an autocross course.

Seek the advice of others who have done this for awhile (as you've
done by joining this list.)  Look for those who drive cars similar to
yours and pick their brains.  Take advantage of Texas Region's
wonderful novice program.  You'll learn a lot from some really good
drivers.

Since you live in Bedford and you're familiar with Pennington Field
you might want to know that Texas Region will NOT be running there
this Sunday.  They'll be running at Mineral Wells, instead.  We here
in Red River Region will also be running this Sunday at Red River
Raceway, 20 miles north of Shreveport off US Highway 71.

Again, welcome to the wonderful world of cone chasing.  I wish you
well. If there's anything I can do to help in the future, just give me
a shout.

John (Old Fartz & TLS #37) Lieberman